Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Annecy

After learning how easy it was to get around Europe, I was eager to venture out on my own. We had a three day weekend so I decided to see the French Alps and see if the leaves were changing color. After consulting guide books, Chamonix had the most appeal. The route to get there involved several trains and transfers. I took my first TGV (French high speed train) from Paris to Lyon. Then I took the regular train from Lyon to Annecy. From Annecy there was a train to St-Gervais where I transfered for the final train to Chamonix.


The layover in Annecy was two hours, so I had time to quickly check out the city. What a beautiful city! It is situated on a lake at the foot of the Alps as you can see in the photo above. The town itself was quite old with a canal and promenade along it. It was very picturesque as you can see below. The canal with swans and waterfalls. The old buildings lining it. The promenade littered with bistro tables, and the mountains looming behind. There was also a large lakeside park that was teaming with people strolling, lounging, and playing sports. The lake was quite active with sailboats taking advantage of the windy day.


It is definitely a place to visit if you are in the region.

No comments: